MuddyEdg

UK
If you torrent or stream movies illegally.....

If you regularly download pirated movies, expect to get a cautionary email from your broadband provider any day now. Major internet service providers BT, Sky Broadband, TalkTalk and Virgin Media will start sending out alerts to customers suspected of engaging in anything that infringes online copyright laws, which includes torrenting films and music or streaming TV shows from illegal websites.

Customers who illegally share pirated content will have their IP addresses flagged by content rights holders. Once they have confirmed that copyright infringement has taken place, the customer's internet service provider (ISP) will send a message to the subscriber advising them that they are suspected of engaging in illegal activity.

Rather than threatening them with legal action or demanding payment, the letters will serve to "educate" customers about their activity and advise them on legal services, such as Netflix and Spotify. No customer details will be shared with rights holders, government or other third parties.

Full article can be found at  : http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/if-you-torrent-stream-movies-illegally-expect-hear-your-broadband-provider-any-day-now-1600269

Also in the news : Torrenters be warned: Internet companies want Opera browser to blacklist restricted sites ( I use Opera for example, If you enable Turbo, your IP is hidden and you can visit websites that your ISP blocked xD

While I would not dream of doing anything that is not 100% legal on the internet, I also have a premium VPN service to protect my privacy from my ISP or Government.

Good heads up though. 

Sky, Devajufan and MuddyEdg like this

21 minutes ago, El Cockardo said:

While I would not dream of doing anything that is not 100% legal on the internet, I also have a premium VPN service to protect my privacy from my ISP or Government.

Good heads up though. 

What service you use ? I think on getting something but they seems kind of expensive :P

I got a very good two year deal with NordVPN at the end of December. Monthly they are over a tenner, this was just under £60 for two years. The company is based in Panama so there are no laws where they would need to give up data - and the VPN service is one that doesn't keep logs of anything.

I don't use it for everything, but it is nice to have when I want to be extra secure..

MuddyEdg and Devajufan like this

Got a VPN and proxy lists are easy to get so I'm not too worried although I do use Spotify for music so maybe that makes up for streaming tv shows and movies? 

MuddyEdg likes this

On 1/10/2017 at 21:04, El Cockardo said:

I got a very good two year deal with NordVPN at the end of December. Monthly they are over a tenner, this was just under £60 for two years. The company is based in Panama so there are no laws where they would need to give up data - and the VPN service is one that doesn't keep logs of anything.

I don't use it for everything, but it is nice to have when I want to be extra secure..

Cheers.

1 hour ago, FloofersFox said:

Whelp, not my problem :D 

Surely not :P 

58 minutes ago, Yassdoge said:

Got a VPN and proxy lists are easy to get so I'm not too worried although I do use Spotify for music so maybe that makes up for streaming tv shows and movies? 

Same here :)