Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bizzl3

ATTN: German members?

So later this year i am looking at buying a car from Germany. Yes, i know this is a little strange, but the exact car i want was only sold in Germany so thats where i have to go shopping lol :P. The question i have is this - what process/processes do i have to go through to de register the car in Germany and prepare it for export to the UK. And would anyone be willing to speak to the seller on my behalf if he/she doesnt speak English? I realise this is a pretty big favor to ask, so i am more than willing to pay someone for their efforts. tyvm <3

Penguin likes this

19 hours ago, bizzl3 said:

So later this year i am looking at buying a car from Germany. Yes, i know this is a little strange, but the exact car i want was only sold in Germany so thats where i have to go shopping lol :P. The question i have is this - what process/processes do i have to go through to de register the car in Germany and prepare it for export to the UK. And would anyone be willing to speak to the seller on my behalf if he/she doesnt speak English? I realise this is a pretty big favor to ask, so i am more than willing to pay someone for their efforts. tyvm <3

My brother had the exact same problem when he was moving to Germany, he had to get the speedometer changed to Kph and the direction of the lights changed (lights in the uk are pointed left slightly to avoid blinding incoming traffic, but in Germany they drive on the other side of the road so the lights needed to be changed)

he also had a lot of difficulty getting insurance, but I think that's because it's not a very common car in Germany (Mazda Rx8)

he drove it over himself by boat 

Edited by Sanslik

2 hours ago, Sanslik said:

My brother had the exact same problem when he was moving to Germany, he had to get the speedometer changed to Kph and the direction of the lights changed (lights in the uk are pointed left slightly to avoid blinding incoming traffic, but in Germany they drive on the other side of the road so the lights needed to be changed)

he also had a lot of difficulty getting insurance, but I think that's because it's not a very common car in Germany (Mazda Rx8)

he drove it over himself by boat 

Suprised it made it there without blowing up. There good fast cars until the go pop

28 minutes ago, Penguin said:

Suprised it made it there without blowing up. There good fast cars until the go pop

It done him well, my brother only has 1 arm after a motorbiking accident, so he got a Japanese imported automatic. Dunno if they have a better reputation but he's never had to make any major repairs

edit: I know they're all made in Japan, but he got this one specifically shipped over

Edited by Sanslik

After quite a lot of research, ive discovered that the process "seems" to be fairly straight forward. It would seem that in Germany a reg number is registered to a PERSON rather than a vehicle. So the process is basically, get the seller to De-register the car in his name, take it to a local auto office ..bit like a local DVLA branch, and get it put on export plates. This can also come with insurance for any EU country. So if i can figure out how to get that far then ill just drive it back lol

On 1/2/2017 at 23:49, bizzl3 said:

Another mk2 golf. a 4x4 version though :P

syncro or country and what mk2 do you have atm?

On 05/01/2017 at 18:55, Gypsyy91 said:

syncro or country and what mk2 do you have atm?

Syncro mate, although id love a country just for the hell of it :P

At the moment ive got a mk2 with a vr6 lump sitting in it. Thats being pulled out in favour of an R32 engine later in the year

10 hours ago, bizzl3 said:

Syncro mate, although id love a country just for the hell of it :P

At the moment ive got a mk2 with a vr6 lump sitting in it. Thats being pulled out in favour of an R32 engine later in the year

sweet, always wanted a syncro or rallye 

I have a mk2 with vr6 lump too i'm build a track car 

awesome! im just lookin at a 300mm tarox 6 pot setup now...................wondering if i can justify the near 2k price tag lol

On 1/9/2017 at 19:10, Gypsyy91 said:

2k wow and you on any of the mk2 pages on Facebook?

yea mate most of em, mk2cartel, burnallthemk2s, mk2crew, mk2oc lol