MuddyEdg

[PHOTOGRAPHY/NOOB] My parents are dark

42 posts in this topic
16 minutes ago, MoJo said:

That type of picture always get your attention, using Rottweiler as an example would not be the same.

For me it would - I like dogs!

MuddyEdg likes this

To stay on topic, The Shadows/Highlights method seems to work really nice and is the fastest option. I will use that now to fix my pictures, I will use the other methods to fool around, I mean learn. :P

Thanks a lot for all the inputs. 

Devajufan likes this

If you can make the move to manual exposure mode, you will have less work to do in photoshop, Histogram is the key, all over to left = to dark, all over to the right =over exposed, ideally you want it just edge to edge.

So take a shot, to dark?, increase exposure, to bright decrease exposure, it's digital memory, don't be afraid to take half a dozen(or more) of same shot with different settings.

Your camera should have a shutter life of at least 100k/clicks.

MuddyEdg likes this

All good advice here.

The crux of the matter is the fact that Tower Bridge is in sunlight and your parents are not. 

To bring out the details what you did in photoshop works, and to be honest shooting raw would not have helped much here. What Mojo posted is the best way of fixing this. Fill Flash.

Even a small pop up/built in flash can do a great job in these circumstances. 

MuddyEdg and Devajufan like this

Learn to use manual settings too. Sometimes you need 2 pics and combine them to get the right one. If you have hdr in the camera it will help too in hard to get lighting situations.

Devajufan and MuddyEdg like this

1 hour ago, orq said:

Learn to use manual settings too. Sometimes you need 2 pics and combine them to get the right one. If you have hdr in the camera it will help too in hard to get lighting situations.

As far as I know, it doesn't have. I try to use it but sometimes I don't have time to play with all the settings ( Funny, my phone had HDR xD )  

One thing you could try is to push the exposure compensation button [+/-] and scroll while in Av or Tv mode. In those modes either the aperture or time is fixed, but the camera decides the value of the other according to light, but will go darker/lighter with this function. Works on my DSLR anyway.

MuddyEdg likes this

2 hours ago, DivXion said:

Now i know where my wife was few weeks ago. You could have asked me, to make some pictures from here.

I wouldn't have mind. @MoJo xD

you wish, you spied on them from the air

You should take a look in the Who's into photo - thread. I posted a thing about HDR there just now and there's a lot of nice pics as well.

MuddyEdg likes this

On 1/8/2017 at 11:56, Devajufan said:

You should take a look in the Who's into photo - thread. I posted a thing about HDR there just now and there's a lot of nice pics as well.

Cheers, I will have a look.