MuddyEdg

[PHOTOGRAPHY/NOOB] My parents are dark

42 posts in this topic

Right, so I have this cute little camera and combined with my zone knowledge of taking a good picture this happened : 

I took a picture of my parents by Tower Bridge ( London Bridge ) but they came out kinda of dark while everything in background is nice. 

Link to 3 of the pictures I took : http://imgur.com/a/1uAn8

I tried to play around with the settings but I just couldn't take the right shot. Is there any way to fix this in Photoshop and also, any suggestion for future amateur photo sessions ? 

Thank you.

8 minutes ago, MuddyEdg said:

Right, so I have this cute little camera and combined with my zone knowledge of taking a good picture this happened : 

I took a picture of my parents by Tower Bridge ( London Bridge ) but they came out kinda of dark while everything in background is nice. 

Link to 3 of the pictures I took : http://imgur.com/a/1uAn8

I tried to play around with the settings but I just couldn't take the right shot. Is there any way to fix this in Photoshop and also, any suggestion for future amateur photo sessions ? 

Thank you.

Your camera has exposed for the highlights the shadows are about 2 or 3 stops under, you need to force it to over expose or force it to use flash(called fill flash sometimes), the flash should then light up the shadows.

what is make/model of camera ?

Devajufan, El Guapo, Penguin and 1 other like this

My photography knowledge is slim. I know what i mean but dont know the tech terms.

Camera based light for image off background making foreground subjects too dark. 

edit : Also if possible - Shoot RAW. 

edit 2 : http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/cheetsheets-for-photographers/ <- Look at the pretty infographics

Edited by Penguin
MuddyEdg likes this

2 minutes ago, MoJo said:

Your camera has exposed for the highlights the shadows are about 2 or 3 stops under, you need to force it to over expose or force it to use flash(called fill flash sometimes), the flash should then light up the shadows.

what is make/model of camera ?

Canon PowerShot SX530HS ( Is a cheap camera ) - Will keep in mind ( I tried to use flash a few times. then the problem was that my parents ware white xDxD )

3 minutes ago, Penguin said:

My photography knowledge is slim. I know what i mean but dont know the tech terms.

Camera based light for image off background making foreground subjects too dark. 

I'll check that too ( I'll google it - see if has such thing ) 

Was looking for if it was possible to set evaluation mode, but couldn't find it. If it was possible you could set it to centered evaluation otherwise.

MuddyEdg likes this

You can check out p74-76 for Tv, Av and M (Time value, Aperture value and Manual) settings.

(It's actually the only modes I use with my DSLR. Maybe P if I've got the external flash on.)

MuddyEdg likes this

Before : 

mX2i7Ip.jpg

After : 

NJUJpTP.jpg

Is it the best ? No, but you can actually see my parents faces so for me it's a win  :P

Also, thanks for the inputs, I will make sure to look at all of them, improve my photography skills :D More are welcome. 

@MoJo I check the histogram, but to be honest I'm not sure what to do with it. ( If i'm not wrong shows how the light works ? It is split ? ) 

Devajufan likes this

23 minutes ago, MuddyEdg said:

Is it the best ? No, but you can actually see my parents faces so for me it's a win  :P

It's good! Now they're completely visible and The Tower bridge isn't overexposed. can't really see that something is done to it either, which is good. ;)

MuddyEdg likes this

21 minutes ago, Devajufan said:

It's good! Now they're completely visible and The Tower bridge isn't overexposed. can't really see that something is done to it either, which is good. ;)

Thanks you :)

It was actually easy. Here s how I did it.

In Photoshop, I open the Adjustments tab and choose Brightness/Contrast. 

Set Brightness to 150% and then I clicked on Masks, where, in the Refine section I clicked on Color Range and I choose what was suitable for me.

Pictures of the steps I took : http://imgur.com/a/lgu3y

10 minutes ago, El Zartan said:

Nice, now I can borrow that picture and tell people I went to London recently.

As of this moment, they are copyrighted. Sorry xDxDxD

10 minutes ago, MuddyEdg said:

In Photoshop, I open the Adjustments tab and choose Brightness/Contrast. 

Set Brightness to 150% and then I clicked on Masks, where, in the Refine section I clicked on Color Range and I choose what was suitable for me.

Pictures of the steps I took : http://imgur.com/a/lgu3y

Color range is a very useful tool. You can use it with other marquee tools like magic wand and whatever by using [shift] and [alt] to add or subtract from your selection. Then there are all the shortcuts with [ctrl] key A all, D deselect, Z undo, X cut, C copy, V paste and much more. :)

MuddyEdg likes this

zUQ5UWw.jpg

Singled out the parents in separate layer- Faffed around with the highlights/shadows - Increased saturation a little too because looked a little black and white

Singled out the sky - increased Cyan saturation to make it a little bluer

Combined the sky and background(not parents  - they stayed in own layer) and Dup'd the layer and ran a high pass (Other>High pass) set that layer to overlay to bring out the background a little more

Hope that made some sense

Im awful at editing - but enjoy giving it a try

Edited by Penguin
Im stupid
MuddyEdg, Devajufan and MoJo like this

2 minutes ago, Penguin said:

You didnt say anything about them going to the MOON!?!?!?

OA0AjW1.jpg

xDxDxDxDxD

Having fun yet ? xDxD

Edited by MuddyEdg

Just now, MuddyEdg said:

Thank you. I will check everything. ( That fill flash is really nice )

Just practice with it with different settings, I use wife's cuddly toy tiger for testing flash/exposure.

MuddyEdg likes this